Tuesday, July 20, 2010

YNS Challenge #21 - Easel Surprise Card!

Your Next Stamp Challenge

Yay! I have another Your Next Stamp Challenge today! Our hostess is Cabio and the challenge is to make an easel card. I love making easel cards and got an idea to do something a little different. I'm calling it an easel surprise card (my apologies if this has been done before - I've never seen it so I'm hoping it's a new idea!) and you'll see why!

Here's the outside when the card is closed:

TreeTrioMiniYippee1a

And here's the card when it's opened: Instead of just having a button or piece of ribbon or whatnot to serve as a stopper, there's actually a piece sticking up to tuck the front panel behind - surprise!!

TreeTrioMiniYippee1b
Here's a shot of just the piece inside:

TreeTrioMiniYippee1c
And here's a side shot so you can see how the piece is attached:

TreeTrioMiniYippee1d
If I do this card again, I'm definitely cutting the orange patterned paper piece in half to cover up the white strip behind the extra piece!

I paper pieced two of the three trees in Tree Trio. Because the patterned paper is so vibrant, the pattern totally showed through when I just colored the trunks with Copics, so I stamped them again on white cardstock, colored and cut out just the trunks to go over the PP.

The grass was all cut out of a separate pattern using the grass die from My Favorite Things. When you cut the grass out, you'll have the negative piece left over and I used that as well. It does look a tiny bit odd because it's the negative, but because my PP is so busy and I used so many layers of the grass, you can't even tell!

Mini Yippee Fhiona was colored with Copics, cut out and popped up on foam boosters. I made the sign myself using a sentiment from Mini Greetings.

We hope you'll play along with us! One lucky participant will be drawn at random to win $10 in YNS Stamp Bucks!! You don't have to use YNS images on your card, but if you do you'll get a double entry in the draw!

Also, the challenge hostess will choose her favorite card, and that winner will get the YNS Challenge "Top Pick" blinkie to proudly display on their blog PLUS $5 in YNS Stamp Bucks! You must use a YNS image to be eligible to be chosen for Top Pick.

Full details can be found at the YNS Challenge Blog. TFL!

4 comments:

  1. WOW! This is amazing Maureen! I love the surprise when your card is opened! Those paper pieced trees and grass are so fun!Yippee Fhiona is perfect for this scene!
    Hugs
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute and clever Maureen! Love your paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute Maureen. Very adorable scene :o)
    Hugs,
    Cabio

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness.. this is soooo adorable! AMAZING how you did the grass.. love all the dimension and layerings and the colors and.. well.. just everything!
    Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment!