Sunday, February 14, 2016

Brush Calligraphy Update

Hi all! It's been a month since I first bought the Brush Letter Practice Guide (links on the sidebar) so I thought I'd do an update post.

Here's a comparison pic of the same sheet that I did on Jan. 14 and Feb. 14 (the Feb ones are the 2 on the bottom):


Both were done with round brushes - it took me a while to get the hang of it and I'm still practicing!  You can see that I had a *really* hard time with the brush on Day 1 - I wasn't getting enough variation between thicks and thins and I had the bristles going all over the place and distorting my letters.  Today I have much better control - not many extra paint marks where I don't want them and much better variation between thick and thin.  Also you can see that I'm playing with mixing colors during lettering - it makes it even more fun!

So here's what I've been doing: I finished all the traceables for the lowercase letters and am slowly working on the uppercase (I've skipped the numbers for now).  I have to admit that some of the uppercase letters are really hard and that's why I'm working sloooowly.

In January I had printed 3 copies of the Traceables because I really needed the extra practice.  Now that I'm getting the hang of it, I've cut down the Traceable for February to 2 copies.  I've also printed a bunch of blank lined papers to practice freehand.  

To me, what makes me practice more is making it fun.  And I do that by using a wide variety of paints.  Different types of paints (cheap pan watercolors, more pricey tube colors, shimmery paints, etc.) and lots of different colors.  I'll do a linky below of the stuff I've been using.

If you're trying out the brush lettering, please leave a comment and tell me how you're doing!  I'd love to hear about what's working for other people on this same journey!  TFL!

3 comments:

  1. Love what you are doing with your writing, I wish I could do something like that. Being left handed I find myself smearing all the time. Plus I think I am too impatient. Your doing brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks beautiful! I've never tried brush lettering. Something else for my list! Just wanted to pop in and wish you well! I will miss seeing your inspiration over at YNS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh your lettering looks great Maureen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment!