Friday, March 6, 2009

I Wanna Be The MFT Idol!

My Favorite Things is having a cool new contest over at their Splitcoast member forum - MFT Idol! All the contestants create an audition project and then the Idol judges (the most wonderful, talented, and beautiful ladies in the world of stamping - you guys are reading this right?? *wink*) narrow the field down to the Top 10. The Top 10 then create their next projects based on the new challenge given, the public votes for their favorite, and the person with the least votes gets eliminated. Then the remaining contestants create a new project for the next week and the public votes again. This continues until the final contestant is crowned MFT Idol and wins a $250 MFT shopping spree!!

Of course with a prize like that, I just had to give it a try! (And also because I adore MFT stamps!) So here's my audition card complete with 3-D flower shop (you can click to enlarge the picture):


I wanted to do a card with a clear plastic "window" ever since I saw the Window Shopping set, but I never got around to it until now. I decided to make a bright flower shop instead of a shoe store in honor of Spring, and because I got these new MFT patterned papers with my last order.

I guess I should call it a flower boutique since it's got only the 2 items and they're on those fancy little pedestals, which are the wrought iron display tables from Window Shopping. I paper pieced the tops and bottoms separately to break up the stripe patterns so they would look a little more realistic. The woman is also from the Window Shopping set.

The flowers, vase, and pot (which are all from the Bundles of Bouquets set along with the sentiment) are all cut out and I've attached them together with super thin strips of green cardstock. Here's a close-up picture that I took of the flowers before assembling the card:


You can also see the "beadboard" effect I did by just scoring the walls at half-inch intervals.

And here's a view from the bottom of the card so you can see all the dimension in the boutique. I used a LOT of foam tape on the window!


To make the big scalloped card base (5 7/8" x 4 5/8"), I used my method of enlarging Nestabilities shapes that I wrote about here.

The awning was done with the Stampin' Up! scallop border punch.

Lastly, I used another print of the patterned paper that I machine stitched, some ribbon from the Royalty Collection, and a button and some lace from my stash.

I'm super happy with how the card turned out and I hope you like it too! Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. Good Luck Maureen ... this card sure looks like a winner to me X

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card does look like a winner! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maureen, best wishes for the dt. This is a stunning card, I adore the soft colours. joey.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dimension on this card is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG this is SOOOO cool..... You totally ROCKED the idol contest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Love all the dimension!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is AWESOME! Just stunning! I love all the dimension.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment!