Sunday, April 6, 2008

Playing with Memories Mists

I was at my local stamp store last week and they did a demo for me using Memories Mists. They aren’t a new product on the market, but they were new to me and I loved the effects so I bought a bunch of different colors. I finally got around to playing today with the Green Tea. I thought the technique would go perfectly with Kim Hughes’ Silhouette Blooms II set so I tried a few of the images out and I liked this one best for today’s card (you can also see the bottle in the picture):The technique is super easy – just spray a fine mist of water on your stamp and stamp on your cardstock of choice. I stamped 3 times onto Stampin’ Up!’s vanilla cardstock. Then you just spray the Mist over it and the water acts as a sort of resist. I quickly blotted away a little of the Mist so the lighter color of the cardstock would show through, and then I hit it with my heat gun to hurry the drying time. The sentiment is from the same set (I just LOVE the simple type combined with the pretty script), stamped with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. The Grid Paper background is also from Cornish Heritage Farms and was stamped with the same Distress Ink, which is coincidentally on sale right now!!

I distressed the heck out of the layers in a few different ways: (1) after stamping the grid paper, I misted with water and dragged a sponge around to spread the color; (2) sponged the edges with the same Distress Ink; (3) sanded the entire grid layer to lighten/blur the lines a little; and (4) used my Heidi Swapp distressing tool around all the edges.

This card is a real departure from my normal cute stuff, but I really love it! I’m going to keep playing with the Mists (they showed me a couple different techniques) so hopefully I’ll have more cards to share using them.

Other materials used: brown cardstock from Bazzill; ribbon from May Arts; rectangle Nestabilities from Spellbinders.

5 comments:

  1. Wow that is really cool! I had never seen those Misters before...so thanks for the "how to use them" tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its beautiful! I am too scared to try something like that! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Well done. :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is totally amazing - those mists sound like lots of fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen these before either: Shall keep an eye out for them as I love the look you've achieved here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment!