Sunday, August 2, 2009

Have a happy day!

Today's card was made for only 1 challenge (gasp!) - Crafty Creations Challenge #26 - taking inspiration from the art of Lauren Alexander.

I have to say that I instantly fell in love with her art - it's so colorful and fun! I picked this piece because of the adorable little bird and all the bright colors of the leaves. Also, I just got the super cute Happy Day set from There She Goes and I've really been wanting to use it!

I did quite a literal interpretation of the piece as you can see here:


First I stamped the tree, then went over all the lines with different colored pencils. Next I filled in all the leaves with coordinating Peerless watercolors and finally cut the whole image out. I stamped the bird on my focal panel and also on a scrap of watercolor paper and colored it the same as the tree. The bird is popped up with cardstock punches and the tree is popped up with foam tape.

For the scene, I drew the grass line with a colored pencil and then watercolored the grass and sky. I drew in the blades of grass and stamped the little music notes around the tree and bird.

I was SO happy with how it came out, I didn't want to draw any attention away from it so I kept the layout super simple with a stamped sentiment from the same set and a hand drawn frame (I seem to be a little obsessed with these lately!).

I was really inspired by this challenge so you might see more Lauren-esque stuff on my blog in the future! I hope you like it and TFL!

11 comments:

  1. A beautiful - fantastic card - hits the mark! Thanks for playing at Crafty Creations. Cheers Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love the colorful tree, so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful Maureen!!! I love Lauren Alexander´s art and you did a great card! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your card, it's gorgeous!

    Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely colours - a fab card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maureen

    Well done on winning the Crafty Creations Challenge.

    This is an absolutely brilliant card. So colourful and vibrant.

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an absolutly happy card! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this card!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment!