First, I tried to copy the original project dimensions exactly (with just one small modification that I'll talk about below) and ended up with this:
After I assembled the pieces (there is a base piece and another piece which forms the lid), I decided to add handles, so I punched 2 holes on each side and added 2 bits of ribbon. I also embellished with a couple of Prima flowers and a Doodlebug rhinestone.
Next I decided I wanted to play with the sizing to make the box a little shorter, and also see if I could do the whole thing in one piece. Here's the result:
I left this box undecorated so you could see the modification I was talking about earlier - I added a half circle slot so that the lid can just be tucked in to hold the chest shut instead of adding velcro. The original chest was 3" tall, and this chest is 2.5" tall.
Next I decided to make the chest even shorter: 2.25" and I simply rounded the corners of the lid, instead of adding the scallop border:
As you can see, I hid the half circle closure with Primas and added handles again. By using patterned paper for the chest, I think it barely needs decorating at all!
Hope you like them and a big thanks to Katie Rentz for the original project!
ETA: After several requests, I've made the .cut file available for download. If you download the .cut file for this project, please also download my notes file!! I've only included the .cut file for the 2.5 inch chest (the middle one) because that's my favorite size and shape! Here are the links to the .cut file and the notes file.
If you like the project, please let me know by leaving a comment. Also, if you make anything with the file, I'd love to see it!