Wednesday, January 20, 2010

La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge #22

If you're looking for the Your Next Stamp Challenge #8, it's the post directly below this one. Thanks!

* * * * * * * * * *


Wednesday means it's time for another La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge! This week our challenge was set by the super sweet and talented Elena and is to created a "Fancy Fold" card - meaning a card that is not your standard one fold card. I rarely do fancy folds so this was a great challenge for me. I decided to do a gate fold card with a slight twist - it has an interlocking frame closure. I got the idea a long time ago from a guest on the Carol Duvall show, so I can't take credit for it!

Here is the card closed (looks just like any other gate fold card):

RosieDownSlopes1a

And here is the card partly opened:

RosieDownSlopes1b
I used Down the Slopes Rosie and a sketch from Get Sketchy (turned on its side). Rosie was colored with Copics and then cut out with a rectangle Nestie. I also cut an extra plain white rectangle and glued them together to make it a little stiffer.

Next I cut out 2 frames: first I cut the plain rectangle out of the rust cardstock, then I placed the scalloped rectangle around the cutout area and taped it down so it was even on all sides, and cut it out. I couldn't cut both shapes at once because the plain rectangle die was too big to fit in the scalloped die.

After sticking down the papers to the gate fold base and cutting then down the center, I glued the left half of the frame to the left side of the card, and the right half of the focal panel to the right side of the card, making sure I lined up the focal panel in the frame. When you close the card, because of the interlocking frame, it stays pretty flat.

This card is also for the Stampin' B's challenge - "Winter fun" and Daring Cardmakers - "Hole in One" (make a card that has at least one hole in it. I think the big hole in the frame counts!). I hope you like it!

We'd love to have you play along with us! All the details can be found on the La-La Land Crafts blog. TFL!

7 comments:

  1. Awesome Maureen! I've forgotten about this closure! Love what you've done and the nesties make it look easy! thanks for sharing! Adorable Rosie...I used the same one today! She just makes me smile!
    Pam Going Postal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Stunning card, Maureen! I really like this gate fold! Thank you so much for sharing how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *GASP* OH MY GOODNESS... now THAT is genious!! LOL - Love this idea so much Maureen!! Very clever. I'm gonna have to try that with my Nesties *Ü* Super job coloring Rosie and this image fit perfectly for this frame idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CUTE!! LOVE the colors and the style of your card!! AWESOME!!
    Hugs!!
    :) Irina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your card! Great take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow...love the gate fold!!! Thanks for joining us at Get Sketchy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment!