Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cupcake Girl

Today's card was made for the Squiggle Stamps monthly challenge which is themed "Birthday Best." Here's what I came up with:

CupcakeGirl1a
I used Cupcake Girl and a fun sketch from CPS.

I stamped Cupcake Girl and colored her mostly with Copics. Her dress was paper pieced as was the cupcake liner and frosting/cherry. I colored the hearts and ribbon on her dress and also the cherry with a dark Copic marker - you can barely tell there's patterning under those parts! Then I did a tiny bit of highlighting on the cherry with a white pencil and covered it with clear dimensional adhesive for shine. I popped up the bottom of her dress as well as the pieced parts of the cupcake with bits of scrap cardstock. I also stamped, colored and cut out an extra arm to go over the pieced dress and cupcake liner.

If you look really closely at the scalloped piece of patterned paper, you'll see that there are floral parts and dotted parts. I carefully paper pieced her dress so it was completely made out of the floral part, and the frosting on the cupcake was made from the dotted part to look like sprinkles.

Here's a close shot so you can see the detail and dimension better:

CupcakeGirl1b
I finished off the front with a Quickutz arrow that has a piercing on either end, a bunch of straight and zigzag stitching, and half pearls on the scalloped piece.

I don't always do it, but for this card I decorated the inside as well because there's a surprise for the recipient:

CupcakeGirl1c
I made a matching cupcake paper clip as a little birthday giftie! I used the cupcake from the stamp as a pattern for my felt cupcake and threw in a bunch of stitching to give it a little more detail. Then I sewed the cupcake and a few layers of base felt to a large paperclip.

Here's a shot of just the clip:

CupcakeGirl1d
I hope you like it and TFL!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Maureen the papers are as delicious looking as that cake and the little girl I love it.

    Hugs
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just too cute, Maureen! Love the cupcake clip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Maureen, I love the arrow & stitching & the decorated inside finishes the card off perfectly. I also love that you get a gift as well!

    Have a great week :)

    Hugs
    Tracey
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment!