Tuesday, June 29, 2010

La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge #45


It's time for another La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge! This week our theme was chosen by Kim and is to "Try something new." Kim wrote, "this can be a new technique you have been dying to try but haven't had the time, a new card shape, some handmade embellishments...maybe even altering images if you haven't tried it yet!" Well, I've been stamping a REALLY long time so it took me a while to think up something I haven't tried yet, and then I remembered a background coloring technique that I've seen on a few blogs and decided to go for it! Here's what I came up with:

LalaFairy5
One of the blogs where I've seen the spotted background is Crissy Armstrong's and she even has a video tutorial on how to do it! It's not exactly how I would have wanted it, but I think it's not bad for a first try! I'll have to practice to get it perfect!

I used Fairy Lala (yes, again! I can't help it - I just love her!) and a sketch from OCC. I paper pieced Lala's dress and colored the rest with Copics, except her wings and wand, which were Stickled. I did the background first then made a mistake coloring her face. Not wanting to do the background over, I just colored another face, cut it out and put it over the first to hide my mistake!

Another new thing I tried this week is the hand-dyed and scrunched seam binding (I also used it on the card posted yesterday). I just cut approximately a yard off the roll, then dampened it and dyed with 2 colors of Distress reinkers, painting the colors in different areas for a variegated look, and scrunching up the ribbon to my liking. I LOVE how it came out and now want to use it on every card I make! I also dyed the Prima hydrangea with the same 2 colors to match the ribbon. I hope you like it!

Before I go, I want to let you know that whatever image the hostess uses on her project is 20% off for the week of the challenge, and this week it's Banjo Maya! And since we have the requirement that you must use a La-La Land Crafts image on your projects to win the $10 credit or Top Three, don't forget that we have all these fabulous digi images available!

We'd love to have you play along with us! All the details can be found on the La-La Land Crafts blog. TFL!

6 comments:

  1. I am loving all the new things you've tried here Maureen! I'm really loving that background, and of course, the ribbon using distress reinkers...hmm..that's a good one to try! Thanks for that inspiration to try that too!!
    Your card is absolutely fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try that background technique, too, Maureen, and now you've got me inspired! I think it turned out great! Once again, a very pretty card with your very special touch.

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maureen! This is super pretty and LOVE that dotty bg technique!! I'm gonna have to give that one a try too! =) Thanks for the link! Hope you're having a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maureen! This is super pretty and LOVE that dotty bg technique!! I'm gonna have to give that one a try too! =) Thanks for the link! Hope you're having a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love how you did the background, Maureen! I tried it with one of my Bella image but still haven't had the time to put in on a card. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That background looks super! I have also been meaning to try it so I really appreciate the link to the tutorial ;D Love Fairy Lala and she is perfectly hightlighted with that dotty background behind her! Such a lovely card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment!