Wednesday, September 30, 2009

La-La’s Weekly Wednesday Challenge #7


Yay! It's time for another La-La's Weekly Wednesday Challenge! This week we have a special challenge that was set by all of our guest DT members! Each one got to choose an "ingredient" and then we combined them all into this week's recipe:

Karin: 2 different patterned papers
Kimmi: strawberries, chocolate & cream (red/brown/cream) Color Combo
Marcea: embossing (dry or heat)
Paul: scallops
Sue: paper piercing

When I saw the color combo and that we had to use two different patterned papers, I searched my stash for the right papers and found some really old stuff from Making Memories. Looking at the paper made me think "old timey" so I decided to do a little different coloring style for this card (kind of like sepia):

LalaPumpkin1
The sketch is from Jen del Muro.

I stamped Pumpkin Lala in Papertrey's Dark Chocolate ink and then did a little coloring with a dark brown Prismacolor colored pencil and just a tiny bit of odorless mineral spirits. I colored in the pupil entirely so I just dotted back in the highlights with a white Inkssentials pen.

The flower was cut with a Cuttlebug die from the polka dot patterned paper, cut with scissors to open up the petals a little, and then the petals were rounded a bit with a stylus. To keep the rounded part from flattening, I glued three 1/8" hole punches behind each petal. I dyed a light brown Prima flower with Dark Chocolate ink to match and the sentiment from Verve (Hello Pumpkin set) was also stamped in Dark Chocolate.

Final touches: I embossed the circular piece with the Cuttlebug Birds and Swirls folder, distressed the edges of the square and circle pieces, added a scalloped border with hand sewn cream seed beads, tied a button to the center of the flowers with crochet thread, and pierced each of the top corners. I hope you like it!

We'd love for you to play along! All the details can be found on the La-La Land Crafts Blog. TFL!

6 comments:

  1. Wow Maureen this looks so neat!! Love what you did with the color part of the challenge!! I had to search as well!!
    Very pretty card!! And I just adore this image!!
    Have a great day!
    :)kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great, great card!!! I would never thought of coloring Lala this way, it looks wonderful on your card!!
    Hugs!!
    :) Irina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card Maureen and the papers work fab with the sepia
    Hugs
    Lana x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh she does reminds me of those antique postcards you see around the stores... wow!

    -- dalis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a comment!